just senseless laments, ramblings, stories, tales, lies of a true-blue self-absorbed, two-faced, fun-loving badass (irl, she's indeed more than that)

Friday, November 24, 2006

Excerpts from GGM's Memories of My Melancholy Whores

I have been trying to finish this book since... ermmm prolly last month! But wasn't able to really find the time until today... well almost (hey i only got 15 more pages to go. That's not a lot!). As I immerse myself to every page, I kept on thinking of this one person (yes, if you are reading, that's you... if you ever live to 90) whom I think would end up like the unnamed hero-persona of the novel. Thought it was pretty boring since page1 and for the first time I thought I'm disappointed with GGM... but this portion, his conversation with Casilda Armenta, whom didn't appear until this page, totally blew my mind :)

-----

Excerpts from Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Memories of My Melancholy Whores (p.99-100)

"Do whatever you want, but don't lose that child," she said. "There's no greater misfortune than dying alone."



.....




.... Look at where our honeymoon has ended up, she mocked. But then she was serious: Today I look back, I see the line of thousands of men who passed through my beds, and I'd give my soul to have stayed with even the worst of them. Thank God I found my Chinaman in time. It's like being married to your little finger, but he's all mine.

She looked into my eyes, gauged my reaction to what she had just told me, and said: So you go and find that poor creature right now even if what your jealousy tells you is true, no matter what, nobody can take away the dances you've already had. But one thing, no grandfather's romanticism. Wake her, fuck her brains out with that burro's cock the devil gave you as a reward for cowardice and stinginess. I'm serious, she concluded, speaking from the heart: Don't let yourself die without knowing the wonder of fucking with love.

------

Oh, the irony and humour. haha :P



No comments: